Re: Machine readable vs. Human readable

1997-03-31 10:48:19
On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Tim Showalter wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Chris Newman wrote:

On the other hand, I'm not sure we should dismiss human readability
completely.  When might be able to find a reasonable compromise where the
script is machine readable, but something that wouldn't be too hard for
the average human to hand edit.  I think Applescript is a reasonable
example of this sort of syntax.

I have avoided applescript to this point in my life.  Can you give a
syntactic overview of the language?

It reads roughly like English.  Minimal syntatic characters.  Newlines are
used as statement terminators (there's a symbol to indicate the next
line is a continuation).  Mostly infix notation.  As a programmer I always
had trouble getting the for/of/by/to/whatever prepositions right.  But
non-programmers seem to like it.