pre-draft for language

1997-04-01 20:46:07
This is a draft for the filtering language.  I managed to fill in a few
examples, but there are still a lot of consistancy errors that arose from
making a lot of changes in the grammar.  I'm posting it anyway because I
believe it'll be better to actually let people see it.

If you find obvious errors, let me know.  I'm SURE there are places that are
not internally consistant.  I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Thanks ...

--
                                           Tim Showalter
tjs(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu

Network Working Group                                       T. Showalter
Internet Draft                                           Carnegie Mellon
Document: draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt                        March 1997
Expire sometime after it's released

                    SIEVE: A Mail Filtering Language

Status of this Memo

   This draft has no standing and is for limited distribution.  Please
   do not implement anything within without contacting the author, and
   even then, use extreme caution; everything in this draft is carved in
   warm butter.

   The following is here for when we actually publish this:

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet- Drafts
   Shadow Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), ftp.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   The protocol discussed in this document is experimental and subject
   to change.  Persons planning on either implementing or using this
   protocol are STRONGLY URGED to get in touch with the author before
   embarking on such a project.

Abstract

   This document describes a mail filtering language for filtering
   messages at time of final deliver.  It is designed to be independent
   of protocol, and implementable on either a mail client or mail server
   which uses multiple folders.  It is meant to be extensible, simple,
   and independent of access protocol, mail architechture, and operating
   systems used to implement it.

   Mail filtering systems are widely used for a variety of reasons,
   including organization of messages (filtering out mailing lists), and

Showalter                                                       [Page 1]

draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt     SIEVE                       20 Mar 1997

   are becoming increasingly useful in avoiding unsolicited mail.
   Existing languages are not consistant across client, server, or
   operating system, and are frequently difficult for users to use.

Showalter                                                       [Page 2]

draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt     SIEVE                       20 Mar 1997

   Table of Contents

   This document is content-free.

Showalter                                                       [Page 3]

draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt     SIEVE                       20 Mar 1997

0.   Known Weaknesses

   The following weaknesses will be addressed, probably by extensions to
   be issued with this draft.

   Several people want regular expressions.  It is my feeling that
   mostly only advanced users (mostly UNIX types) want regular
   expression support instead of globs.  I really want this in my
   filtering language, and will code it.  However, regexp support is
   gross and frequently creatively incompatible, so I have removed it
   from this draft.  I will write up an extension if I can find a
   reasonable way of documenting regular expressions (will probably
   borrow something from POSIX).

   Envelope-matching commands are not readily supported by all mail
   systems, and putting them in the draft will result in a system that
   cannot be implemented by a mail architechture that dumps envelopes,
   or stores them in weird ways.

   "Detailed" addressing is not handled, and will likely be moved to an
   extension as it is not supported by all systems.  Detailed addressing
   is where, in address like tjs+fmh(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu, the
delivery system
   ignores the "+fmh" in the address, but leaves it to the filtering
   system to interpret.  A "detail" command will be added to match this;
   it can be handled in the draft as-is with suitable pattern matching
   on the to/cc field, but it requires env-to matching to get it really
   right.  This is a common practice on CMU's mail system, and the Cyrus
   IMAPD offers some support of it as it is, and it's a must for us.

   I had a section on a "support" test, but removed it.  The idea of
   support is that if a given extension is supported, the test is true,
   and you can call on the extension.  It is a neat idea, but introduces
   mystery grammatical constructs that cannot be reasonably resolved.  A
   "require" keyword is still useful, and has been added.

   Whitespace is for readability, and as such, should be reasonably easy
   to edit.  (Whitespace in computer-generated scripts will probably be
   single spaces and occasional newlines.)  But thanks to creative
   obscufation from modern operating systems in their definitions of
   ASCII, there is no platform-independant newline in a text editor,
   which will be useful for users editing source.  Proposed solution:
   since we generally don't care what the newline character is anyway,
   allow any newline character (or, in the case of real ASCII, the CRLF
   sequence) to be whitespace.  This has been the decision used in this
   document regarding whitespace.

   Commands can optionally end with a ";", and tests can optionally end
   with a ",".  This is a feature intended to allow for humans to mark

Showalter                                                       [Page 4]

draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt     SIEVE                       20 Mar 1997

   ends of commands, as I expect missing arguments for some commands
   will be a frequent source of error.  They are unnecessary and would
   be easily removed, but I'm partial to them.  Comments would be
   appreciated.

   I'm not sure if I have most of the technichal terms right.  I suspect
   they're IMAP-biased, and need to reflect mail more generally.  Any
   comments would be appreciated.

1.   Introduction

   There are a number of reasons to use a filtering system: Mail traffic
   for most users has been increasing due both to increased usage of e-
   mail, the emergence of unsolicited email as a form of advertising,
   and increased usage of mailing lists.

   This language is offered in order to try and provide a standard
   language that can be used to create filters for e-mail.  It is not
   tied to any particular operating system or mail architechture.  It
   requires the use of [RFC822]-complant messages and support of
   multiple folders, but should work with a wide variety of systems.

   The language is powerful enough to be useful, but delibrately very
   limited in order to allow for a reasonably secure server-side
   filtering system.  The language is not Turing-complete, and provides
   no way to write a loop or a function.  The intention is to make it
   impossible for users to do anything more complex than write simple
   mail filters.

   Implementations of the language are expected to take place at time of
   final delivery.  In systems where the MTA does final delivery --
   IMAP4 and traditional UNIX mail, for instance, it is reasonable to
   sort when the MTA deposits mail into the user's mailbox.  If the MTA
   does not do final delivery, or lacks the power to sort into seperate
   mailboxes (as is the case under POP3), the MUA must do filtering into
   local filters.

   Experience at Carnegie Mellon has shown that if a filtering system is
   made availible to users, many will make use of it in order to file
   messages from specific users or mailing lists.  However, many users
   did not make use of the Andrew system's FLAMES filtering language due
   to difficulty in programming it.  Due to this expectation, this
   language has been made simple enough to allow many users to make use
   of it.

1.1. Conventions used in this document

   Line breaks have been inserted for readability.

Showalter                                                       [Page 5]

draft-showalter-sieve-XX.txt     SIEVE                       20 Mar 1997

   In the sections of this document that discuss the requirements of
   various keywords and operators, the following conventions have been
   adopted.

   Each section on an test, action, or conditional has a line labeled
   "Syntax:".  This line describes the arguments each command requires.
   Required arguments are listed inside angle brackets ("<" and ">").
   Optional arguments are listed inside square brackets ("[" and "]").
   The formal grammar for these commands is described in section 10.

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "CAN", and
   "MAY" in this document are to be interpreted as defined in [XXX].

1.2. Example mail messages

   The following mail messages will be used throughout this document in
   examples.

   Message A