Re: Example extension action

1997-11-19 08:15:18
Chris Newman wrote:

If the message has a "Disposition-Notification-To" header which matches
the envelope sender, then this will send an "automatic-ation",
"MDN-sent-automatically", "denied" MDN notification and remove the
"Disposition-Notification-To" header from the message.

Nice thinking, Chris.
However, it seem to me quite counter-productive to do a thing like that.
When we finally can see MUAs arriving on the market that supports MDN
(we
aren't there quite yet) you start providing not only tools that
nullifies
those developments, but also automates MDN submission on behalf of the
user
for each message containing the D-N-T header?

Also, as I mentioned in another letter, I am leaning towards the
position
that MTAs should keep hands off MDNs and leave such handling to the MUA.
If your MUA is not supporting MDNs, then why not just ignore such
requests?

A question: Should MTA and MUA responsibilities be mixed up in a single
tool
like a Sieve interpreter?

The interesting question is: are Sieve scripts allowed to edit the headers
of a message?

I hope not. Otherwise, you will easily end up with a situation similar
sendmail installations, where you easily loose control over what headers
are
rewritten (or deleted, help me ***) and why.

Frankly, I don't understand why a filtering language should be able to
rewrite message headers at all?

Morphing filtering tools into censoring tools have bad vibrations.

--
Hälsningar/Regards

Tomas Fasth <tomas(_dot_)fasth(_at_)twinspot(_dot_)net>
Tel: +46-13-218-181 Cel: +46-708-870-957 Fax: +46-708-870-258
EuroNetics Operation, Mjärdevi Science Park, 58330 Linköping, Sweden
(TwinSpot Network is a subsidiary of EuroNetics Operation)