RE: Are vacation and procmail MUAs?

1998-01-15 10:58:58
Believe me, I'm well aware that sendmail isn't the only MTA in
existence, and I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. It would,
however, seem rather odd to discuss deployed message filtering systems
without considering procmail (as an example, not necessarily as a
model for how I think such systems should work.) Obviously, since
procmail is normally invoked through sendmail, discussing procmail
will entail reference to sendmail.

Anyway, you're point about functionality and architecture is certainly
a valid one. While I suspect most users probably don't think about
procmail any more than se...their MTA (sorry, I couldn't resist), and
probably less, users do think of vacation as a program they use.
Still, there is a fundamental architectural difference between
programs like vacation and what might be called "passive clients" like
POP/IMAP clients. Anyway, we need some kind of a terminological
distinction (MFA?). I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, with regard to your point about the appropriateness of MTAs
running programs on behalf of the user: I certainly don't feel
disposed to argue with you. I think procmail (when invoked via
.forward) represents an attempt to fill a need, and I believe that
need is real, but that certainly does not mean I think this is the
ideal solution. The very fact that a user can do a lot of damage
through having a misconfigured .procmailrc is argument enough that the
solution is flawed. Don't misunderstand my comments as an attempt to
argue otherwise.

Gregory Woodhouse gregory(_dot_)woodhouse(_at_)med(_dot_)va(_dot_)gov
May the dromedary be with you.