Re: Sieve extensions

1998-01-17 20:59:04
From: "Stan Bailes" <postmaster(_at_)quadcap(_dot_)com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:08:20 -0800

(In the implementation I'm thinking of, where ACAP is used to store
the script on the server, the parsing happens when the script is stored,
and the error can be reported at that time, so a "bad" script will never
be executed by the filter agent.  I like this.)

The ACAP server isn't required to ensure validation of the data when it
stores it.  The client should validate the data, but there's no way to
enforce that requirement, and the mail server is forced to re-check the
data.

But that is really pretty ugly, and I don't think we're trying
to make Sieve be Turing complete via extensions, so I don't
see this "lack" as a real drawback.

I consider ruling it out to be a serious drawback.

Well, OK.  Let me make my concern clear -- It makes no sense
to specify a 'support' test, which implicitly recognizes the possibility
of extensions not supported by an implementation, if you don't
at least specify the syntax that such extensions must follow.

That's true, but a support test still has value even if there are
exceptional extensions that it can't handle.

--
                                          Tim Showalter
tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu