Re: Extension mechanism/support

1998-01-28 15:08:33
if support "black-magic" {
  black-magic;
} else if support "white-magic" {
  white-magic;
} else {
  // remainder of script
}

You may suggest that the extension selection is a 'meta-language' issue,
and that my tool, or my UA, or someone should figure out the extension
compatibility matrix and only pass the correctly formed script to each
server.  This "works", but seems decidedly less functional than simply
implementing 'support', and totally fails in the case where a single
author is generating a script designed to be used by multiple users,
as with a "spam dumper" service....

perhaps I am misquoting the problems, but I know that one of the
problems that was discussed dealt with extensions that had parameters
and how to handle new parameter types.

regards,
Jack
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498          http://www.wildbear.on.ca/jacks/