sieve & short-circuit evaluation

1998-12-07 17:31:34
Today a bunch of us got together by the pool to discuss whether or not
Sieve should have short-circut evalation.  After some arguing, we
concluded that it shouldn't, and that extensions that made use of it
were just a bad idea.

One note, though.  While I still believe this is the right conclusion,
this is the mechanism that some languages (C, LISP) use to return an
exceptional condition (disk full, network exploded, etc.).

This means that if we get a complex extension that can fail when it is
run AND we have enough of a language for a fallback condition, we'll
have to provide a way to handle what amounts to an exception.

I'll have real notes from the meeting posted soon.

Tim

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>