[Fwd: Re: body test?]

1999-04-10 14:46:46
Here is several letters from my conversation with John Beck.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: body test?
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:24:34 +0400
From: Alexey Melnikov <Alexey(_dot_)Melnikov(_at_)MessagingDirect(_dot_)com>
To: John Beck <jbeck(_at_)Eng(_dot_)Sun(_dot_)COM>

John Beck wrote:

I searched the archive and found only a couple of ancient messages that
discussed this, and then only in passing.  There is no body test.  One of
those messages suggested it was too expensive in general (which it may well
be); another that it was fodder for a future extension (which it also may
well be).

What kind of test for body do you want? Do you want to search for
substring in
any text/plain part?
Do you want to search for regular expression?

I'm particularly interested in what others think of the tradeoffs of end-user
usefulness vs added costs in performance and complexity of implementation.
As a user, I want this.  As an implementor, I'm not sure.

Personally I don't want to copy every bit of code that I have in IMAP (I
mean all
types of SEARCH criteria) into SIEVE implementation.

Also I don't think that every SIEVE environment can give you access to
body.

 Comments?

-- John

Alexey Melnikov
Execmail and ISODE have merged into Messaging Direct