Re: sieve vacation draft, really

1999-05-03 13:27:15
From: Alan(_dot_)Stebbens(_at_)Software(_dot_)com (Alan Stebbens)
Cc: <ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:39:35 -0700

I am resending this.  I did not receive any response on the previous try,
and there are serious usability issues with the vacation action.

Can someone answer these questions about the VACATION statement:

* does it generate replies to bulk mail?  If not, how does it decide not to?

Yes; what's the difference?  Users can selectively do vacation

* does it generate replies to "mailer-daemon", "Postmaster", "root", and
other system accounts?

Implementation dependant (as of the next revision).

* does it generate replies to mail with any subject containing the text:
"[vacation]" or "[auto-response]"?  If so, why?  If not, are these the only
two strings that are recognized as being generated by an email
auto-responder.

Yes, why not?

* does it generate mail not directly addressed to my account?  How does it
know what my account is?  How can I tell VACATION what my account is (or
are)?

No, read the spec, read the spec, respectively.  Text is there and will
be clarified in the revision.

* does it generate responses to mail that I sent myself?  If so, couldn't
this start a mail loop?  If not, how does it know what my account is or
accounts are?

No, no, implementation-dependant with the provision that the user can
suppply additional addresses.  Even if the address checks fail, the loop
is limited by message-id checks.

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>