Re: Sieve regex extension

2000-02-27 17:17:58
At 3:17 PM -0500 2/9/00, Ken Murchison wrote:

CMU Sieve currently strips all single backslashes in quoted strings,
which seems to be one reasonable implementation based on the working in
the spec.  This behavior requires that any escaped meta-character in a
regex must be preceded by two backslashes.  This behavior also effects
the :matches match-type in the base spec and imapflags as defined in
draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-02.

I am not up to speed on the discussions that led to the current wording
in the spec, but I'd like to see all escape sequences passed through
untouched, or perhaps be context-sensitive as hinted at in the spec.
But, "this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong."

I agree with you. Two backslashes should mean one literal backslash. "\." in a regexp should mean a literal dot. "\\." should mean a literal backslash followed by any character. Otherwise it's too confusing.
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------