Re: Sieve subaddress extension draft

2000-03-14 01:35:09
Ken Murchison wrote:

Michael Salmon wrote:

Ken Murchison wrote:

Michael Salmon wrote:

Ken Murchison wrote:

I just wrote a draft for an extension to allow comparing against
user+detail addresses.  It can be obtained using either http or ftp,
from:

http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-00.txt
ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-00.txt

I'm not crazy about the names of the capability or the optional
arguments, so if anyone has any better suggestions...  As always, all
comments/suggestions/flames (flames MUST have a well thought out
suggestion :^) are welcome.

BTW, both this extension and the regex extension are implemented in
the
latest version of CMU Sieve.

It is usually called a detailed or detail address.

I know, I used ":detail" as one of the optional args.  But what do you
call the capability, "detail", "detailed", "detailed-address"?  None of
these seemed to work very well.

I think that "detailed-address" is as good as "subaddress" but perhaps
you should focus on the fact that you are writing to a folder and name
the capability "folder-addressing" and then rename the address selector
to ":folder". I think that the capability and the selector should be
related.

I agree that "detailed-address" is a better description, but don't you
think its a little long for a require line?  I was hoping to come up
with a meaningful, yet succinct capability identifier.

Maybe it could have an alias of detadd? My guess is that most sieve
scripts will be generated by GUI's and that require will not be
generated by anything so mundane as actually writing them so it probably
doesn't matter how long they are. After more thought I think that
"detail-addressing" is nearer english when combined with require.

As far as ":folder", I didn't want to make any assumptions as to the
nature of the detailed address.  I would agree that in most cases the
"detail" probably is a folder, but I don't think it has to be (no other
uses come to mind right now, though).

You could use the same argument against :user, it probably should be
:mailbox or :maildrop, mailbox is itself a bit ambiguous. If you used
:folder then you could replace :user with :cabinet ;^), I think that
Mulberry already does.

/Michael