Re: sieve 13, corrections made during last-call discussion

2000-10-31 19:46:54

Tim Showalter wrote:

Ken Murchison <ken(_at_)oceana(_dot_)com> writes:

2.4.2.3. Addresses

A number of commands call for email addresses, which are also a subset
of strings.  These addresses must be compliant with [IMAIL].
Implementations are required to parse as specified by the "mailbox"
definition in section 6.1, not as "address" is specified in that
section.  "Group" syntax MUST NOT be used (if multiple addresses are
requierd, use a string-list).

  ^^^^^^^^

Are you punting on the fact that "mailbox" allows "route"?  Or do you
want to restrict "mailbox" to:

mailbox       = addr-spec
      / phrase "<" addr-spec ">"

That is the restriction I want.  source routes are obsolete, are listed
as obsolete in drums, and I see no reason to allow them.

New text:

        A number of commands call for email addresses, which are also a
        subset of strings.  These addresses must be compliant with
        [IMAIL].  Implementations are required to parse as specified by
        the "mailbox" definition in section 6.1, with the additional
        constraint that the "route" part MUST NOT be used.  Note that
        the "address" part specified in section 6.1 is not the syntax
        part used here: "group" syntax MUST NOT be used (if multiple
        addresses are requierd, use a string-list).  Implementations
        MUST ensure that the addresses are syntactically valid, but need
        not ensure that they actually identify an email recipient.

Well, I understand what we're talking about here because we've hashed it
out before.  But it seems like we have more text telling us what sieve
does NOT support rather than what it does.  Might it just be simpler to
say that email addresses used in sieve actions MUST follow this syntax:

sieve_addr      = addr-spec
                / phrase "<" addr-spec ">"

where 'addr-spec' and 'phrase' are as defined in [IMAIL] section 6.1.

Here's another fly in the ointment: What about 'domain-literals'?  Even
[IMAIL] discourages that they be used.  Should we just define the syntax
of what sieve should support in its entirety, or am I just being a pain
in the ass now?  (taking a 4 year-old trick-or-treating will do that to
you :^)

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127