Re: Are extension names case insensitive

2003-05-02 13:17:47

[Ned Freed]:

  [Kjetil Torgrim Homme]:
  > [Gisle Aas]:
  > >   Should this work?
  > >
  > >      REQUIRE "FILEINTO";
  > >      fileinto "FOO";
  >
  > I'd say no.

  I'd say yes. It isn't like we're going to define FILEINTO to have
  a different meaning than fileinto, so implementations get maximum
  interop by performing a case-insensitive comparison in this
  context.

but an implementation that allows that will create an incompatibility
which didn't exist before.  or perhaps it already exists?  Cyrus does
case-sensitive comparison on the capability string.  (added whitespace
also makes the comparison fail.)

  line 1: unsupported feature

what do others do?

  Case preservation does not imply case sensitivity on comparisons.

agreed, I only showed that literal strings in Sieve preserve case.

the question is whether a match is implied.

  We have case-insensitive tokens and string comparisons are
  case-insensitive by default. I'm sorry, but what's dubious is the
  assrtion that require should be case-sensitive.

how about FILEINTO itself?  the folder name is case sensitive in IMAP
(with the exception of the prefix "INBOX").  shouldn't Sieve do
case-insensitive matching on existing folders to find the correct one,
and then store into it?

if "INBOX.foo" exists and you do FILEINTO "Inbox.Foo", Cyrus will file
the message into "INBOX".

--
Kjetil T.