Re: variables: open issue a) date variables

2003-05-03 14:01:11
On Saturday 03 May 2003 17:08, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
<snip>
I do note, however, that nobody
else is jumping in to support this prefix idea. I'm ambivalent about
it myself.
<snip>

It's weekend ;-)

As we _have_ magic variables in the current draft (year, month, etc)
that are implicitly changed by commands (as opposed to be set with
"set"), no matter if we call them thus or not, it would be a good idea
to make that explicit and to enable other extensions to define their
own magic/system variables.

The reasons against magic/system variables Kjetil mentioned were:

1. Year, month, etc. are not really magic, you can write them via set
   and they only spring into life on setdate.

I think we agree that writing to those variables is not a good idea,
since it's not needed, makes program flow analysis more complex and
produces potentially invalid system variable content that leads to a
new class of runtime errors not present with read-only system
variables.

Furthermore, that they spring into life as a side-effect of a command is
proof, not disproof, of their magicness.

2. There's no good use for them.

Well, the fact that they are being defined (whether called system
variables or not) in itself is proof of their usefulness. imapflags
could also make good use of system variables. In fact, IIRC, the
imapflags extension was was what prompted the variables extension in
the first place.

3. We'd need a registry for them, since extensions could conflict.

They can still conflict if we don't make system variables explicit in
the variables extension. Prefixing them at least avoids conflicts with
user variables.

As to requiring a registry. Sure, that would be nice, but isn't a
necessity. We don't have a registry for command or test identifiers
either, even though they could also conflict between extensions.
Instead, we believe the extension authors and the review process to
avoid these conflicts.

Marc

--
We do not believe it draws the proper balance in a democratic society
for the activities of government to be concealed from public scrutiny