Re: Please review ; Sieve Statistics and Sieve remove attachments

2004-01-29 14:10:01

--On 2004-1-30 1:20 AM +0530 Madan Ganesh Velayudham <mganesh(_at_)india(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com> wrote:

        Please share views on the following :

"SIEVE Statistics", Madan Velayudham, 03-Dec-03. (9179 bytes)

Some comments based on a quick scan of the document ...

Section 4:

* "action" needs to be more clearly defined

Section 5:

* Why two capabilities? Both commands are required, so there's no point in advertising two capability strings. The capability should be changed to something like "STATISTICS".

Section 6:

* What does a "zero valued action counter" mean? Surely '0' is a valid counter value, meaning the action has never been triggered. I think what you're implying here is that a '0' value means the counter for the action isn't implemented. If that's the case, just don't return a response for that action.

* Presumably GETSTAT is only valid in authenticated state? (Section 7 explicitly calls this out, so section 6 should as well.)

Section 8:

* The grammar (and semantic description) for the command responses is missing.

Section 9:

* Since there's no way (that I can see) to access another users counter data (through the protocol), this text doesn't seem relevant.

General:

* How useful is the returned data? The fact that an action took place doesn't really tell me anything. I would be much more interested in seeing how often each rule fired, as that would allow me to optimize my rulesets.

--lyndon