Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-sieve-body-00.txt

2005-04-05 10:08:26

Mark E. Mallett wrote:

4.1 Body Transform ":raw"

In the example:

        > # This will match a message containing the words "MAKE MONEY FAST"
        > # in body or MIME headers other than the outermost RFC 822 header,
        > # but will not match a message containing the words in a
        > # content-transfer-encoded body.

the description is inexact.  Where it talks about "containing the words" I
for one would get the idea that, well, the test is whether the body
contains those words, rather than that string.  I realize that one should
be reading this in the context of the document, but every little bit of
precision helps.  Also, where it says it will not match in a
content-transfer-encoded body, I beg to differ.  If the body is encoded
quoted-printable, the string "MAKE MONEY FAST" will appear plain as day and
should be matched in raw mode.

[I see that Bob Johannessen also made the above comments, but this is
already in my notes, so read this as "me too"]
+1.

4.2 Body Transform ":content"

  > The search for MIME parts matching the :content specification is
  > recursive and automatically descends into multipart and
  > message/rfc822 MIME parts.  Once a MIME part has been identified
  > as suitable for searching, only its direct contents are searched
  > for the key strings.

If a message contains more than one testable part, I assume that the
"body" result is the OR of the tests of all of them, with a
short-circuit exit.  i.e., first match causes the body test to end and
return a true result, whereas a non-match causes the body test to
contine on to the next candidate mime part.  This may seem obvious but
it probably needs to be made explicit, no?

I tend to agree.

Also, is it worth specifying the recursion order?
I don't think so, as the result would be the same.

  > For example, a document with "multipart" major content type only
  > directly contains the text in its epilogue and prologue section;
  > all the user-visible data inside it is directly contained in
  > documents with MIME types other than multipart.

I question the term "user-visible."  I'm a user, and the prolog and
epilog stuff is always visible to me in my mail reader.  Maybe just
say "other" ?
I agree.

  > MIME headers of the containing text MUST NOT be included in the
  > data.

Explicitly provides no way to test the header part of a mime part which,
it seems to me, would be useful.
My understanding is there would be a separate extension to deal with this.

        > # Save any message with any text MIME part that contains the
> # worlds "missile" or "coordinates" in the "secrets" folder.
"words" not "worlds"

Alexey