Re: [Notifications] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-notify-02.txt

2006-02-08 11:59:00

Alexandros Vellis wrote:

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:05 +0100, Michael Haardt wrote:
I suggest that allowed modifications MUST or at least SHOULD be
documented.

  Usage:  valid_notif_method <notification-uris: string-list>

Of course that is real easy to implement, but it is also real ugly.
There is nothing I know of else in Sieve that checks certain options
of actions for validity.  I still suggest a generic extension for
exception handling.

I don't know about generic exception handling, but wouldn't it make more
sense, in this particular case, that the available notifications are
present in the capabilities of the Sieve server?

So, just as IMAP4 Capability responds with a set such as AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
AUTH=ANONYMOUS or THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES, a Sieve
server could respond with "notify notifymethod=mailto
notifymethod=xmpp", or something similar.

If you are talking about ManageSieve protocol (draft-martin-managesieve), then draft-ietf-sieve-notify-02.txt already has text describing relevant capability.