Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-rfc3598bis-02.txt

2006-03-07 15:01:18

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:06:31AM +0100, Michael Haardt wrote:

As it is, all kinds of subadressing are in use, and given the broad range
of possibilities, this extension almost certainly can not be used for all
of them.  To begin with, it would only allow a single separator character
and suffix details.  I showed some people use character sequences as
separator and some use the detail as prefix.  Now the extension covers
those cases, but that does not mean it covers everything.  That's why
I vote for a system-defined method of determining user and detail part.

Me too.. I think the functionality of this extension is diminished by
specifying particular syntaxes of user and detail.  After all, it seems
to me that one thing this extension is trying to do is remove knowledge
of those syntax details from the script writer; this becomes more useful
with less simplistic localpart formations.

I think it's fine if the spec focuses on a couple of different styles of
subaddressing for the purposes of explanation and exposition.  But I
don't really know why you'd want to mandate whatever we can think up at
the moment as being the only ways addresses can be extended.  The
interpretation of the localpart is best left up to any implementation,
and not just in the ways that we know of now.

I could imagine having hashed addresses:  let's say
"b0359d533e48623bae1d2dad9f2aedc4" corresponds to mem-foo .  Or perhaps
"nfmoioesoee" would be mem-foo with some noise thrown in.  Seems to me
that a subaddress extension would be much more useful to these cases
than for the simple substring/separator cases being discussed (since
difficult uses better illustrate how the extension removes the burden of
decoding them from the user, and leaves it to the implementation).

While I'm here, re this comment upthread: