Re: Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-sieve-notify-05.txt

2006-12-18 09:42:38

Aaron Stone wrote:

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 20:25 +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Michael Haardt wrote:

3.1.  Notify Action Syntax and Semantics

 Usage:  notify ":method" string
         [":from" string]
         [":importance" <"1" / "2" / "3">]
         [":options" string-list]
         [":message" string]

Ok, so the method is required now. Good! But why a tagged argument
instead of a positional argument? I don't mind it being one way or
another, I am just curious.  Do we have required tagged arguments
anywhere else?
I just didn't want to remove the tag everywhere in the document, as it might introduce editorial errors.
If people have a strong desire to remove the tag, I can remove it.

Was it discussed at some point that perhaps the arguments should be
similar to vacation, with :subject (rather than :message, here)

I don't remember any suggestion to use :subject.
(There was a suggestion to add :from. This change was done).

and the message itself as the only positional argument?

This was suggested before, but this wouldn't work, as the argument is optional and a positional argument can't be optional.

Were there arguments
against something like that? If one reason was that the method argument
had been the only positional argument, tagging it clears up that issue
and makes room for the message to be the final untagged argument.