Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-notify-mailto-08.txt

2008-07-15 07:00:29
Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

    Title           : Sieve Notification Mechanism: mailto
    Author(s)       : B. Leiba, M. Haardt
    Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-notify-mailto-08.txt
    Pages           : 16
    Date            : 2008-07-09

This document describes a profile of the Sieve extension for
notifications, to allow notifications to be sent by electronic mail.
Folks,
I believe Barry addressed all outstanding issues with the document but one:

Should a notification be generated if an Auto-Submitted header field exists (apart from "no")?

Barry commented on this issue:

I still don't see clear support for changing this, and I still worry that it's dangerous. There are certainly use cases for it, but since this is a major way we're suggesting avoidance of notification loops, I think it's a Very Bad Idea.

-08 still has the MUST NOT. I'd strongly prefer to leave it that way.

===
I tend to agree with Barry. I think the last round of discussion suggested that the WG has no consensus on this issue. So my recommendation is to leave the current text as is and publish the document. *If* there is enough support later for allowing notifications on notifications, the document can be revised(, or a small extension to it can be published). But for now I think it is more important to publish the document.

+1

/psa