Re: Proposal to change sieve: URL syntax used by the ManageSieve protocol

2008-10-11 12:50:46

Дилян Палаузов wrote:

Hello,

Hi Дилян,

Section 3:

        sieveurl-script = "sieve://" [ authority ] "/" scriptname

* IMAP URLs made the mistake of confusing the identity used to authenticate with the identity that owns the script. This makes IMAP URLs cumbersome. I would strongly encourage a naming model that separates the two and keeps the script owner explicit. For example:

  sieveurl-script = "sieve://" [ authority ] "/" owner "/" scriptname

What about
   sieveurl-script = "sieve://" [ authority ] "/" [owner "/"] scriptname

And missing [owner "/"] implies authentication ID = authorization ID

This might work. But I think this would also require that any "/" in the <owner> or <scriptname> be URL %-encoded. This shouldn't be a problem for existing deployments, because I don't think use of "/" in script names is common anyway (and some servers currently disallow it).

1). opinions on whether you think this change is a good or a bad idea

Good.

2). if you know of any application using existing <sieveurl-script> form (with no "owner").

I used kio_slave on my old computer some years ago, but to what I remember as "root" I could edit only the global scripts, not the users' ones. By enhancing the URI with owner-part, the "root" can access anyscript by just changing the URI (and the client software then issues an UNAUTHENTICATE/AUTHENTICATE commands to access it).

Alternatively the URI could be "sieve://" [[ owner "@" ] authority]...

<authority> can already contain an optional name of the user the client should authenticate as. I don't think sticking authorization identity (== "owner") would be syntactically valid according to the URI specification.

As next one could think on a way how the "root" or any other who can access the script of more than one person can retrieve the list of script-owners, s/he has access to (in means of URI and protocol command).

This can probably be an extension.