Re: [sieve] Issue found in RFC 5260

2009-08-21 16:36:53
Cyrus Daboo wrote:

Hi NED+mta-filters(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com,

--On August 21, 2009 1:18:01 PM -0700 NED+mta-filters(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

The error is in the sample code provided for Julian day calculations. The
original specification called for the use of Julian days, but this was
subsequently changed to modified Julian days (mostly because they start
and end at mignight, as opposed to the noon start time for Julian days).

However, when this was done the sample code was not updated to include
the additional 2400000.5 factor. So the routines produce Julian day
results, not modified Julian days.

Normally I'd simply fix this with an RFC errata and not bother the WG
about it. However, in this case we're talking about sample code, which as
we all are painfully aware has the IETF completely wrapped around the
axle.

Let me suggest that we issue an erratum anyway.

In particular, given a revision is needed, it may make sense to use this
opportunity to republish the RFC and also change the appendix to call
these routines "code components", meaning they are free from copyright
restrictions and can be freely copied.

So what do people think? I'm happy with either approach - republishing is
more work, but fixing IPR issues may be worth it.

How wide spread is the use of Julian days in implementations right now?

I've used Ned's code as is :-).