[sieve] Some comments on draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01.txt

2010-06-30 10:39:13
Hi,

I just took a short look at the latest draft of the Sieve regex
extension. I noticed that the interactions with the variables extension
are specified more explicitly and a set modifier is added. That's very
good. However, I have a few comments on this.

- Current text in section 7.2 of the draft refers to a variable being used as `a parameter to :regex' (3rd paragraph), which is not entirely correct since the :regex match type argument has no actual parameters of its own. I guess `the regular expression provided in the key string argument of the involved test command' is meant instead.

An alternative wording for the 3rd paragraph of section 7.2 could be:

"
The :quoteregex modifier is useful when the assigned variable is to be expanded in a regular expression string, i.e. the key(-list) argument of a test command using the :regex match type. This modifier adds the necessary quoting to ensure that the assigned text will only match its literal occurrence when the variable is later expanded in a regular expression. Every character with special meaning (".", "*", "?", etc.) is prefixed with "\" in the expansion. This modifier has a precedence value of 20 when used with other modifiers.
"

- An example of constructing a regular expression from the contents of
variables would be nice, also to provide an example of how the new set
modifier can be applied. E.g.:

require ["regex", "variables", "subaddress", "envelope", "fileinto",
    "copy"];

# Fetch recipient domain
if envelope :domain :matches "to" "*" {
    set :quoteregex "domain" "${1}";
}

# Infer the host name of the final receiving server from the 'received'
# headers.
if header :regex "received" ".*by (.*${domain}) .+ for
<?(_dot_)+(_at_)${domain}>?" {
    # File a copy on a per-accepting-server basis
    fileinto :copy "incoming.${1}";
}

I must say that I'm not at all happy with my example. I would like to see an example that is actually practically useful, reliable and not hard to grasp. :) But I am fresh out of ideas...

Regards,

Stephan.