Re: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-include-11.txt

2011-09-24 08:47:28
Hi Aaron,

Op 23-9-2011 21:20, internet-drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org schreef:
 directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering
 Language Working Group of the IETF.

 Title : Sieve Email Filtering: Include Extension Author(s)
 : Cyrus Daboo Aaron Stone Filename :
 draft-ietf-sieve-include-11.txt Pages : 15 Date
 : 2011-09-23

 The Sieve Email Filtering "include" extension permits users
 to include one Sieve script inside another. This can make managing
 large scripts or multiple sets of scripts much easier, and allows a
 site and its users to build up libraries of scripts. Users are able
 to include their own personal scripts or site-wide scripts.

You missed one issue I mentioned earlier: the paragraph about the application of the :once parameter starting at the end of page 5 and continuing on page 6 should be located directly below the description of the :once parameter and not below the paragraph describing :optional. So, it should be moved one paragraph up.

A small editorial nit:

The "spam_checks" example on page 10 has a require statement starting in the wrong text column and the global command that follows should be on the next line.

Finally, I'd like to share a few things I only notice now because I've recently read RFC 5703 (mime extensions) once more. On page 6 of the include draft the following is mentioned:

   The "include" command MAY appear anywhere in a script where a control
   structure is legal, and MAY be used within another control structure,
   e.g., within an "if" or "foreverypart" block (MIME [RFC5703]).

So, from this I understand that the foreverypart context is passed down to any script included while in this context. This means that the behavior of the :mime-augmented tests in the included scripts is influenced accordingly.

Now I was wondering what would happen when a top-level "break" action is executed in a script included somewhere in context of the foreverypart loop, or - equivalently - a break statement with name parameter equal to that of the foreverypart command in the including script. Initially, I feared this would require ending the included scripts and "return"-ing to the script executing the loop (at the position of the loop's end). However, on page 6 of the include draft the following is stated:

   The included script MUST be a valid Sieve script.

In light of the "break" issue, I like to read this as follows:

   The included script MUST be a valid Sieve script in its own right.

Since it is not allowed to have a "break" action outside a foreverypart loop or a break statement referencing a named loop that does not exist, an included script with such a break statement is invalid because it is not a valid Sieve script in its own right, i.e. without the foreverypart loop of the including script. This nicely prevents having break statements that cross include boundaries.

Do you agree with this view on the matter? Is some more explicit mention of the interaction between foreverypart and include necessary?

Regards,

Stephan