Re: Limited scope of work

2004-04-01 01:33:41

Hi Yakov,

--Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:
As for From and Sender headers, I think that other mechanisms can do the
job better such as DomainKeys or passing the informaton explicitly in
SMTP such as in SMTP AUTH's MAIL FROM extension for passing author's
address.

There is a problem with Domain Keys that Yahoo has not really addressed, and that is that DomainKeys may be "affirmative" (and say "This message came from domain X") but by itself it cannot be "negative" (meaning "Accept no messages without Domain Keys").

They would need something in DNS that says "Please use domain keys for this domain". It would be cool for them if our LMAP proposal could accomodate them (and say "Accept from *.yahoo.com *.yahoo-inc.com or any Domain Keys signed message with key X)

But, since they don't seem to be participating, I guess they are planning to create something extraneous. If they really wanted the internet community to support their new proposal, they probably wouldn't remain silent and/or blind to other things happening in the email industry.