Re: Choice of SMTP headers

2004-04-04 13:18:58

I have a suggestion.  There are a few ways we could go about resolving this.

1. Agree
2. Agree to disagree
3. Agree to remain vague and/or suspend judgement

I think I missed some earlier context, due to arriving late to this list and due to not being part of ASRG before this. Thankfully, Yakov pointed me at this document, which has helped:

Lightweight MTA Authentication Protocol (LMAP) Discussion and Comparison
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-asrg-lmap-discussion-00.txt

I think this is the closest thing we have to a FAQ for our group (well, and the charter, but that doesn't list implications etc.)

So. Here is a suggestion. Dave, your assertion is approximately that "on-going maintenance costs haven't been acknowledged; e.g. the effect on various kinds of mobility." Could you pull up the draft-irtf-asrg-lmap-discussion-00 document and see if it addresses the points you feel you have made, that haven't been acknowledged? If so, that's great, we can point people at this document and move on. If not, perhaps the best way to proceed would be to collect your points that should be discussed and put them all in one place (and possibly to add to the lmap discussion document.) That will make the information available widely, and will give you the positive feedback that your points are being acknowledged.

Since we don't (and cannot) know all the costs, I think the best we can do is try to ferret them out as much as we can. Here's a first attempt at some "agree to be vague" language:

There are costs to be borne with any LMAP deployment. We know what many of these costs are, but until we get to the stage where one or two large installations complete a rollout, we won't know ALL costs exactly. There may be unexpected barriers that are expensive, or even insurmountable, or there may be cheap solutions that work well; we don't know yet.

This makes adoption a bit risky. But, I think there are people out there willing to take the risk, especially if we are offering something with a long-term payout and short-term risk of costs. I think it's safe to say it still *has* an ROI, even if we don't know exactly when that is.

Therefore, we all agree to move forward and try to create the best proposal possible based on what we know and what we believe. We will make a "best effort" to uncover and disclose costs (not in dollars, but in category/type) so that anyone adopting the new standard can make an informed decision. And, we will give interested parties an opportunity to comment, and adjust course as needed.
<<<