Re: What we are trying to accomplish

2004-04-06 09:15:52

If I may add a comment..

With the pending release of our new mail server with all its new Anonymous
Access management features,  which has been a tremendous success in its
field testing for the past 6-7 months,  the new focus for future research
work is to see how to stop the attempts in the first place.

For the most part, our primary focus was "SMTP technical compliant."  That
is the approach we took to solving or addressing this problem. It has
nothing to do with mail content interpretation or the intent of the sender.
I like to think it has been a successful approach and I was not surprise
because a) by far the overwhelming legitimate senders run legitimate
compliant systems, and b) by far, the overwhelming abusive senders run
non-compliant systems.   So just based on this empirical reality, you can to
a high degree, address this problem, technically at SMTP.

However, from what we have learned with a consistent number of hits, the
questions are now:

- Why aren't these people learning?
- Why aren't they adapting to the enforcements?
- Why do they keep trying on what seems to be a daily schedule?

I think a flaw in the anti-spam research was that we gave these spammers
more credit than they deserve, that they will "change" to circumvent
whatever you may have.  They have; at RFC 2822!   Not at RFC 2821!   And I
don't they will because after all, they exist because of the HOLES in RFC
2821.  They are not going to change software to comply.

Once the SMTP technical enforcements are in place, the tracking/auditing
part will be significant.  This is where the laws, such as CAM-SPAM will
come into play.

I will end it with this. What I am thinking for future support, is the
possibility of some automated "Cease and Desist" notification to inform the
sender that continued "system harassment" will not be tolerated.   This can
be in a form of a special 55x response code just if only for tracking
purposes.

ciao

http://www.santronics.com