Revised initial draft:

2004-04-07 00:59:54

Folks,

I've sent the internet-drafts staff a new initial version of the smtp
client validation specification.  An error in the previous prevented
its getting issued as an I-D, so this new version retains the 00
version number.

This draft incorporates some review comments.  However its most
significant change is the addition of some sections that describe
underlying components that can be used for other service. Further, the
document distinguishes between naming, authentication and
acceptability.

     draft-crocker-marid-smtp-validate-00

     Client SMTP Validation (CSV)

     Internet mail suffers from the operation of hosts that
     operate as mail transfer agents (MTA) without any
     accountability.  This makes it impossible to vet MTAs
     or find recourse when their operation causes problems.
     The current specification defines a modest mechanism
     that permits session-time, domain-based validation of
     peer, client MTAs without prior arrangement between the
     MTAs.  The mechanism is built upon functional
     components for registering service support and for
     validating that a name is associated with an IP
     address.  It provides a small, simple and useful
     improvement to Internet mail service accountability.
     It is based on well-understood mechanisms and is easily
     deployed and used.  Note that validation does not imply
     that the MTA is well behaved, merely that it is
     accountable to the cited domain administrator.

Until the document is issued by the I-D staff, it can be obtained
from:
<http://brandenburg.com/specifications/draft-crocker-marid-smtp-validate-00.txt>

Please direct comments to the ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org mailing list.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>