Re: Benefits/costs of authorizing different identities

2004-04-08 02:00:39

I was not specifically lobbying for a particular choice, here.  I was
lobbying for being clear about the nature of particular proposals.

OK, that's got to be a good thing (tm). However, I'm not sure that
considering *particular* proposals is necessarily what we need to be doing
*at the moment*. While there will be costs/benefits in authorizing various
identities in particular applications, I believe that our immediate concern
should be which identities we will consider in scope.

If someone comes up with an absolute dog of a scheme (depending on MARID)
which users judge to have vast costs and tiny benefits, I'd expect that it
wouldn't be widely deployed. It needn't follow that all schemes which use
MARID on the same identities will have the same cost/benefit. One scheme
might involve "throwing away" lots of mail in transport, another might
merely raise a flag in the MUA UI.

Any good tool can be used wisely or foolishly. Clearly, the design of the
tool considers use, as we seek to make the best (not necessarily safest)
tools we can for the use, or uses, we expect. I have a Swiss Army Knife, I
also have some other rather nice knives in the kitchen. I keep them all out
my son's reach. Any of them can be used to kill, but no knifemaker sets out
to make a dull edge. OK, maybe butter knives, but you get my point :-)

P.S. I don't actually know very much about knives.
Regards,
JK