Authentication of email domain name is the FOCUS

2004-04-15 07:26:34

 I think the continued discussion on "RFC
2822" relationship
as far as the SMTP transport model is concerned is going off
on the wrong direction for a solution.

Noted, but many people disagree.

All we are doing is listing the addresses of the outgoing mail
servers in the DNS. The interpretation of that information is
for the receiver to decide, not us.

The fact is, there is no consistency with a RFC 2822 based
solution.

The fact is that there will be consistency soon enough if
receivers start to enforce it.

We are already in a situation where the vast majority of Internet
email is being filtered through systems that apply ad-hoc
heuristics, in many cases they are learning systems and
nobody even knows what criteria are being applied.

This is not a pop shot at Microsoft, I love Microsoft,  but
they don't have
the great engineers with time-tested system engineering training.

That is simply not true, take that kind of abuse to slashdot where
it belongs please.

Again, this is not to say an implementation can not use the 2822
information, but it is at another level,  a level that I
don't think is consistent with what we are trying to do.

I have been trying to find the substance of your argument but so
far I have not. Basically all you seem to be saying is that you
have written a spam filtering system, you believe it to work,
therefore any proposal that does not look like yours is wrong.

                Phill