Identities and authorization

2004-04-15 15:45:18

Given that the IESG has assigned this working group a narrow charter and specific milestones designed to focus our energies, consider the following:

1) We have been given a list of 5 or 6 identities from which to pick. If we did not narrow the list, where would most of the complexity be located? A sender needs to implement only one, but would a receiving MTA need to implement an authorization path for all, and might there be overlap or conflict?

2) If it is possible, are there ways to examine a group of these identities in a concise manner that would result in only one authorization path for a receiving MTA?

3) While our work may impact DNS and email implementations, our charter does not give us the proper scope to make changes to either RFC 2821 or RFC 2882. So which identities do not require us to wonder beyond our charter?

-andy