Re: .mxout. Internet Draft

2004-04-21 10:30:49

Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 01:19:26AM -0400, April Lorenzen wrote:
| | This document offers a recommended standardized FQDN (Fully Qualified | Domain Name) naming convention pattern for servers used to send outbound | internet email. The purpose is to allow inbound internet email servers | to recognize outbound email servers designated as authorized or | unauthorized by those in control of DNS for the sending server IP addresses. |
This is an interesting alternative approach to the MTAMark space.

On that note, I would like to mention that our single most successful
antispam rule at Pobox is "does it look like a broadband host".  We can
tell if a machine is a broadband host simply by checking if the hostname
contains the IP address.  Broadband machines usually PTR to something like

  6535215hfc174.tampabay.rr.com
  c-24-8-173-129.client.comcast.net

This is not always true, the following message from NANOG illustrates that:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg03414.html

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Some lies are easier to believe than the truth" (Dune)
-------