Re: Client SMTP Validation jabber summary

2004-04-22 18:20:07

Dave Crocker wrote:
Hector Santos wrote: HS> If it is *mandatory* for MTA to add the network control header Received: why
HS> it is not possible to use this as part the "chain of trust"  separately or

the field is often forged.  there must be some way to know that it
hasn't been.

Take a look at the recent archives of the ASRG Filtering subgroup. There's been a great deal of discussion about this exact issue, although with a slightly different bent, namely verifying that a second 'tag' header was added at or after a certain point in the chain.

At any rate, I think that's out of scope for this group, unless you want to test that the prior MTA in the chain added a proper (syntactically, semantically correct) Received header, likely with some association between and/or among the domains named in those headers. I think that's a silly approach for this group.

Philip Miller