Re: Not just which dots, but how are they connected?

2004-04-23 07:05:07

On Apr 22, 2004, at 8:51 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
It also strikes me that there are some folks who are looking at
this from a much more general case and want to understand
which headers it would be useful to *validate* (full stop).
That's a different problem space; s/mime has taken it on,
as has PGPMime.  There may well be more useful methods
to be found in that arena (and judging from uptake I hope so), but it is a different problem space at least as I understand it, because validating
the header content goes beyond describing a relationship
to an administrative domain.  At least in my view, it also goes beyond
the kind of check we'd assign to an MTA in the usual mail
flow.

A good point. I certainly had made an assumption about the meaning of validating headers in this context. But are we all on the same page? And as I think about it, the confusion could be applied to both 2821 and 2822.

So, is there anybody here thinking of validation of these identities beyond the domain part of an email address (or the equivalent for HELO/EHLO)?

-andy