[bandwidth] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-marid-core-01 xml use

2004-06-08 16:22:58
Excuse the HTML again...

        >   Does that extensibility have to exist in DNS records?  I think
        > that's the point of contention, here.  Hadmu was flamed mercilessly
        > for proposing to put policy records somewhere else, as they were
too
        > large to be "proper" for DNS.

        >   Will this be another case of people flaming Hadmut for 6 months
        > about his idea, and then implementing their own take on it?

        This sounds like RMX all over again, and many pots calling one kettle
black.

        Even if information were stored in other systems and only referred to
within DNS, we're still talking about large amounts of information -
someone's 450 byte XML document posted here earlier, would be almost half of
a typical 1 KB e-mail message.  Ignoring caching, this represents a worst
case of nearly a 45% to 50% increase in traffic compared to SMTP alone.