exists element (draft-ietf-marid-core-00)

2004-06-13 07:35:09

--Jim Lyon <jimlyon(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
5.1.5 "exists" element

   Attributes: None
   Child Elements: None
   Character Data: A domain name, with macro expansion.

   This element matches iff the domain given by the character data
   (after macro expansion) exists in DNS.  If the DNS lookup fails for
   any reason other than nonexistence, the client authorization function
   returns "unknown".

This should be clarified as to what type of lookup needs to be done. I believe the current SPF spec says this should be an A record (to make it similar to how an RBL works). The wording in this draft might be understood to mean an ANY query should be done, but I'm not sure that's what is intended... if it is, that should be clarified.