RE: Ancient history (draft-ietf-marid-core-00)

2004-06-14 10:47:28

Paul Vixie sent a draft to the DNSEXT WG mailing list and again to ASRG when
it started.

The Vixie draft credits Jim Miller for the original idea.

--Jim Lyon <jimlyon(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:

12. Acknowledgements

   Variations on the idea of using a DNS record to check
the legitimacy
   of an email address have occurred multiple times. The
earliest known
   work is [RMX]; others include [SPF} and [CallerID].

   The current document borrows heavily from each of the above, and
   incorporates many ideas proposed by many members of the
MARID working
   group.

I am not sure, but I seem to remember Andrew Church published
a draft for
MS records that predates RMX.

There was also a proposal by Paul Vixie but I don't know if it was
published.