Re: comments on SPF

2004-06-14 20:38:21

--Aredridel <aredridel(_at_)nbtsc(_dot_)org> wrote:

> In section 4.8, you mention "A" lookup.  Is AAAA explicitly not done
> in that case?

Sorry, I didn't check that reference.

Yes, the exists: mechanism explicitly checks *only* A records, even if
the MTA connection is via IPv6.  This is to maintain compatibility
with already existing DNS blacklists and whitelists.

Any reason not to query for ANY?

I can come up with one, though I don't have a strong preference on this. DNSBLs are often set up to return an A record if you are on the list (like 127.0.0.2) and a TXT record for "more info" (which not all users will care about). Using a A query allows you to get the shortest response, and if you want more info, you can query for txt, or some users might want to query for ANY at the start, if they are always going to record the TXT if present.

It is remotely possible that a directory structure might have TXT records for a label but not A records. In that case, the TXT might contain descriptive info about the IP (or whatever you are requesting) but not be an "active listing". I would say if there is no A record it should be considered not to exist for purposes of exists: even if there is other data there. So, if someone does an ANY query, they should explicitly check for an A in the reply.

Ari