Mailing List Discourse

2004-06-17 11:05:31

Over the last couple of days I have received many private emails from individuals concerned about the type of discourse they have seen on the MARID mailing list, and they are concerned that participation is not a valuable use of their time.

Quite simply, the unprofessional behavior has got to stop.

On March 18, we asked the participants of this working group to abide by the following etiquette:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg00358.html

In addition, we ask that you follow this advice in how to comport yourselves:

* Unless your name appears on the charter page for the MARID Working Group, your role in this working group is as individual participant only. The IETF treats all participants as individuals, not representatives of corporations, governments, or other organizations. If you feel that you should be treated otherwise, please petition the IAB for a formal liaison relationship with the IETF.

* Because all the participants are individuals and represent no corporation, government or other type of organization, intimations and message subtext regarding the motives and/or hidden agendas of other participants will no longer be tolerated. For a definition of "no longer tolerated," please consult BCP 83.

* The persons with names listed on the charter page for the MARID Working Group have certain roles and responsibilities for leading output of this working group through the IETF standards process. Matters of how MARID will interface with the IESG should be left in their hands so that participants are free to concentrate on the work of the group and not the process.

* Above all else, participants should concentrate their energies on creating an interoperable standard. If MARID fails to emit an interoperable standard, everything else done here is for naught.

-andy