RE: Factored lookup - ML patent claim issue.

2004-06-21 16:07:37

Exactly.

Since DNS is public and queryable in order to ensure routing, we feel
that everything will ultimately fall at the message level.  Even
 authorized "users" on a box are the old "Mail From" test which is
 spoofable and constantly accessed by dictionary attacks.

Moreover, although people don't really think of IP spoofing as a
 concern due to it's unroutable nature in two way conversations, our
 tests have shown that Spammers are increasingly taking advantage of
 this on a one way "Broadcast" stream to drop emails with the proper
 IP's (especially in a private relay system with NAT'ing).  In essence
 they've adapted to the "RMX" test.  As such, more IP's within the DNS
 structure are simply more "roadmaps" for spammers to violate systems.
 We don't want to go to deep into our Patent claims, but as soon as a
 method goes beyond the typical domain and IP tests and verifies
 whether or not an email originated from the system it says it is
 coming from, is where we may have conflicts.

As an aside, Message Level does currently incorporate an "authorized
 sender" component for distributed systems to send authorized email
 without having to make their separate systems public.  Thereby, taking
 care of the relay and forward problems inherent within DNS tests.

We'd love to show you our prototypes.

Bill McInnis
www.messagelevel.com