RE: you must fill your zones with TXT records

2004-08-11 02:49:59

The underlying problem is that all the proposals look at one
individual RR set at a time.
They have no way of advertising a default policy that
covers an entire zone.

That is a fault of using DNS to begin with.  At least, without modifying DNS
software to synthesize "default" records to certain kinds of lookups.  DNS is
supposed to respond with NXDOMAIN if a record isn't found.

Now, last I checked, nothing stops a DNS implementation from returning a
"default" record.  That's not the same as a wildcard record as wildcard
semantics are clearly defined in RFC 1034 4.3.2.  What I'm talking about
could be implementation-specific, for example in BIND 9-speak:

zone "example.com." {
        type master;
        file "forward/example.com.dns";
        if (query == TXT && record == FALSE)
                record = (whatever a "deny" is);
};

This wouldn't require a site to use such a DNS server, but it would give
operators using such a capable DNS server an advantage.  It also wouldn't
require changing the specs here.

I can see DNS folks cringing now.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):