RE: Reputation systems

2004-08-16 10:11:42

[Meng Weng Wong]
I believe the generally accepted guide to DNSBLs and their
ilk is at
http://www.sdsc.edu/~jeff/spam/Blacklists_Compared.html

I've seen that page, but as I mentioned, there's no analysis of the
false-positive ratio. A very high false-postive rate, in my experience,
is what makes IP-based blacklisting unworkable. Yes, a good blacklist
stops a lot of spam, but it also stops a significant amount of ham.

We got a lot of false positives with the SpamCop list, and other BLs are
bound to be worse.

I guess I'll have to try to do this analysis on my own. Someone wrote a
SpamBayes tokeinzer module that adds tokens for blacklist membership;
this will automate the process for me if I get it working.

Regards,
--
Ryan Malayter
Bank Administration Institute