Re: What Meng said

2004-08-17 07:25:37

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:26:39AM +0100, Chris Haynes wrote:

| Please may I ask a brutally simple question.
|
| My question below applies only to those messages in which the domain of the
| MAIL-FROM is different from the domain of the PRA.
|
| Where, in the collection of drafts issued on Friday, does Sender-ID refer to
the
| rejection of a message as a result of evaluating the record associated with
its
| MAIL-FROM domain?

Sender ID as currently specified doesn't do that.

If people want the MAIL FROM to play a role in Sender ID,
they should say so.  If they do not say so, the working
assumption is that nobody cares.

I personally think that if the PRA lookup returns "none" or
"unknown", MAIL FROM should be checked, and if that test
returns "fail" then the message should be rejected.

This is in line with the "unified SPF" model.

The converse is the scenario where a MAIL FROM pass is
returned, and a receiver arrives at a generally positive
feeling about the sender; that would allow EzMLM and similar
MLMs to get their mail through, and reduce the false
positives that would occur on a PRA check alone.