RE: change of version string

2004-08-20 12:08:40

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Otis
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 2:38 PM
To: Scott Kitterman
Cc: MARID
Subject: RE: change of version string
On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 14:57, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Douglas Otis wrote:
On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 13:17, Scott Kitterman wrote:

Anyone who doesn't want their v=spf1 record used for Sender-ID
checks can publish an SPF2 record that says spf2.0/pra +all.

Why not wait for them to opt-in to Sender-ID?  You want mail
rejected as a result of this usurping of the record?  There may be
many that feel Sender-ID records of any kind are not safe, as they
rely upon the RFC2822 content, but there is no means for this
content to be assured. Blacklisting could make _any_ records for
Sender-ID perilous. They may have felt SPF was relatively safe, but
feel Sender-ID is not.  You offer no recourse as a result of this
expediency taken.  They may have been expecting to use differing
access with this RFC2822 From address you destroy without risking
the publishing of Sender-ID records.

That's an effective opt-out of Sender-ID.

That is asking for their DNS to be bombarded with Sender-ID spam
exploits.  That is also asking for their domain to be blacklisted.
Some opt-out. :(

Actually, now that I think about it, spf2.0/pra ?all would be a much
safer opt out.  Shouldn't get blacklisted over that one any more than
you would by publishing nothing.

If there is a filtering advantage for referencing a Sender-ID record,
even an '?' "open" record, then this type of record becomes a means for
spam exploits.  This also puts the DNS server at risk of being
overloaded.  Regardless of the scenario, publishing an "open" record of
_any_ type is not without risk.  It could also lead to this Sender-ID
domain becoming blacklisted, if this record is abused.  An "open" record
can easily be abused.  Such "open" lists should be struck as offering an
irresponsible option, once repudiation is considered being done either
through rejection or filtering.  Filtering is much more insidious. :(

They key point is to make it easier for domain owners to
publish.  Getting a critical mass of domain owners with records is
essential to escape the catch 22 of receivers not checking because
no one publishes records and no one publishing records because no
one checks.  Since there is a significant base of v=spf1 records
published, we can gain a lot of momentum by leveraging off of the
SPF classic community.  Finally, they are generally technically
aware early adopters who can reasonably be expected to understand
the impacts of 2821 versus 2822 checking and its effect on them.

This still does not provide a suitable option for saying "Leave me out
of Sender-ID!"

Of course, being left out of both SPF and Sender-ID is trivial.
Continue to not publish a record.  Yes, it does make it harder to get
out of Sender-ID, but not out of SPF.  I think that spf2.0/pra ?all
would be close enough.

This is not the same as no record.  This is saying, "Anyone and
everyone, use this record if you wish to claim my domain in your mailbox
address as having Sender-ID '?' status."  This could be worse than no
record, as it implies acceptance of this "open" Sender-ID record status.

Upon reflection, I think that Wayne's proposal is better.  It meets my goal
of only having to publish one record without the downsides that you point
out here.  Being able to only publish one record (what I proposed) would be
great.  Being able to publish one record the describes what scope it is
intended for is better.  It will take a little longer since the currently
deployed SPF parsers will have to be upgraded to read the new record type,
but I suspect the advantages are worth it.

Scott Kitterman