Re: DEPLOY: Santronics position on Sender Id

2004-08-26 01:21:59

Eric,

First,  where is the patent? No patent has been issued.

Second,  I have serious issues for the merits of the patentability of the
weak concepts involved.  Any good prudent lawyer could fight this patent
with ease.

Third, there is little to no benefit, in fact produces more issues than it
resolves. So considering 1, 2 and 3, I have a problem with given credence to
a weak idea.

Forth,  if it was patented, it is quite conceivable that a "judge" can deem
this PUBLIC DOMAIN just for the fact that it can have world wide
implications.  It has happen before. Case in point: HAYES and AT Command
set.

Fifth, Not all products are OPEN SOURCE!  So in short, in no way would we
subject the future of our mail product lines based on Microsoft "patents."
We have never done it and we will never will.

We have a very successful anti-spam system.  Why would be want to alter this
now?   The only reason we were here in the first place was to help make SPF
the standard.  Not get into idiotic IPR issues.

As far as I am concern, this is has been a big waste of time in my book.
All this process has done is raise the bar for a continuation of exploration
for better ways.  I would be among the first to work with a technology that
was sound, even if it was one that was going to impose serious redevelopment
cost which this will most definitely will do for those who support it.

However, we will no longer subject ourselves to this moronic IPR issue that
quite frankly is technologically flawed.   It doesn't even address CANSPAM
nor the full address. So why bother?

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com