Re: acceptable licenses (Was: Can there be an early decision on t he SenderID license?)

2004-08-27 13:54:45
Fredagen, den 27 aug 2004, skrev Margaret Olson:

My problem with this line of reasoning is that any spam reduction mechanism is going to have IPR claims - by either the genuine inventors or someone else. There are multiple patent claims on challenge response. I am not comfortable with the idea that we reject a technology because the IPR holder has deep pockets.

I have not seen any one on this list mention that as an argument against Sender ID, have you?

As far as I can tell, that the IPR is held by Microsoft remains the primary objection, and I can't see that as a valid objection.

Of course it is.
Poeple including some laywers states that this license is incompatible with many other licenses.
This is of great concern as it affects deployment.

I would also argue that there is a control advantage to making Sender ID an IETF standard. It makes it much harder for Microsoft (or anyone else, for that matter) to make arbitrary revisions. Whether or not this matters depends on whether you think it will get widespread adoption. I think it will, and that most of us are going to wind up dealing with it regardless of the IETF decision. Do we prefer an IETF standard or a de-facto standard? Of course, if adoption is widespread and rapid enough it will be difficult for anyone to change regardless of the size of the gorillas.

Margaret.

        Med vänliga hälsningar

        Mattias W E