Re: TECH-ERROR: Duplication of version number as part of the name for SPF2 dns record (this is possibly TECH-OMISSION)

2004-08-27 16:13:15

"Rand" == Rand Wacker <rand(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> To fix it is recomended that all references to SPF dns record
    >> type and examples be changed from "SPF2" to just "SPF" with
    >> note in the text that such dns type records should confront to
    >> SPF2.0 or later records. So above example would change to:
    >>
    >> example.com.  IN SPF "spf2.0/pra +mx +a:colo.examp.e.com/28
    >> -all"

    Rand> This would have the potential of creating *exactly* the same
    Rand> dataspace problems as stuffing all the different versions in
    Rand> a TXT record, and would IMO be a bad engineering decision.

Possibly.  I think that the engineering decision as to whether version
3 should use the same typecode or a new one should be left up to the
designers of version 3 -- there is little point in debating it now,
given we have no idea what version 3 might be.

But given this is going to be the first SPF-syntax record to be
defined, I'm in favour of just calling it SPF.  If version 3 wants to
use it, they can.  If they want a new typecode, they can define SPF3.

Calling it SPF2 doesn't prevent version 3 from using it, but it will
make the naming look a bit silly if the designers of version 3 make
that decision.

     -roy