DEPLOY: personal testimony

2004-09-02 07:52:36

I am the primary author of GOSSiP, a distributed, peer-to-peer
reputation system for MTAs.  Due to the overwhelming legal analysis of
the Sender-ID licensing terms and the vagueness surrounding the actual
IPR claims, I cannot in good conscience implement Sender-ID checks in my
products.

As the Senior Unix Systems Administrator for the SETI Institute, I'm
concerned that a quick hack I may script up to check for Sender-ID would
require agreement to those terms, thereby forcing me to use an
"off-the-shelf" solution if I prefer to avoid those terms and still make
Sender-ID checks.  I'm further concerned that ANY quick hack I may
script up to do sender checks may infringe Microsoft's
yet-to-be-revealed IPR claims, and thus jeopardize my employment and my
employer.

--
Mark C. Langston            GOSSiP Project          Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org   http://sufficiently-advanced.net