RE: TECH-ERROR: DNS Record Types

2004-09-02 14:12:35

On Thursday, September 02, 2004 at 1:09 PM, Ólafur Guðmundsson wrote:
I disagree: we are designing a protocol for use on the Internet,
... your set up its classified as "not being on the Internet"

In other words, you're willing to pretend the problem doesn't exist, by
declaring that everyone with the problem isn't on the Internet.

The real issue here is that this technology isn't useful unless almost all mail
senders publish records.  Telling people that they can't publish before
upgrading software (and changing vendors too) means that they just won't
publish.

Its counterproductive to keep harping on the same points that had
been rebutted number of times both on the mailing list and in the
working group meeting in San Diego.

My recollection of the meeting in San Diego was that the consensus favored what
the protocol-02 draft said, which is quite different from the current draft.

Below (in PS) is a simple script that uses nslookup to check if your
host can get unknown types from my DNS server.

Here are results (debugging output removed for brevity) from my run of your
script:

C:\projects> nslookup
Default Server:  red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Address:  157.55.254.211

set debug
set type=txt
set class=chaos
version.bind.
Server:  red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Address:  157.55.254.211
*** red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com can't find version.bind.: Not
implemented
set type=any
set class=in
set domain=test.ogud.com.
ssh
Server:  red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Address:  157.55.254.211
*** red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com can't find ssh: Non-existent domain
unknown
Server:  red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Address:  157.55.254.211
*** red-dns-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com can't find unknown: Non-existent
domain
^Z

In other words, I'm behind one of your "evil, bad middleboxes". The only way to
access your DNS server is through the Windows APIs, not by directly sending DNS
packets.

The point is that many other people are too.  If the goal is interoperation, we
need to take these people into account.

-- Jim Lyon