DEPLOY: On the IPR debate

2004-09-02 23:12:27

Just a few comments...

First of all, the final call period is only a few days away. Lets get our hands cracking and see if we can get any remaining technical issues out of the woodwork and bring them to the attention of the group. Even if some of us are against it on IPR principles, we can still look at the technical aspects. The IPR issue is on the table, the chairs are very well aware of it, and everyone's opinion is on record. It may very well happen that the IPR issues may end up being resolved.

Second, the IETF standards process is not a "all or nothing" decision. Approval by the WG is only the first step. There is still IESG approval with its own final call period, which may bring additional comments and requests for changes from the wider community. Code still remains to be written and tested, possibly adjusting the standard. The standard will only be in "Proposed" stage anyway for a while, and may very well change. And of course, we probably will be forced to make changes in order to close loopholes that spammers will manage to find. We got a long road ahead of us, full of coding, testing and making adjustments. Lets not lose sight of that.

Yakov